All iMail users have been switched to @Connect service due to the decommission of iMail Service in the end of 2016.
Tell me more
Office 365 is the name of the Microsoft suite of online productivity tools. It is a cloud-based service and composed of e-mail, calendar, and collaboration tools. Students switched to @Connect Service can continue to use your @Connect account even after you have completed your study in HKUST. Please refer to @Connect – Students’ Lifetime Email Service for more information.
The @Connect Service provides access to many web based applications including:
- Exchange Online:
50 GB of storage for email, shared calendars and continued use of your @connect.ust.hk email address, even after you have completed your studies in HKUST. Outlook Web App (OWA) is the primary client and you can access OWA at http://O365.ust.hk.
- OneDrive for Business:
1 TB of personal storage that can access from anywhere. Easily share files internally and externally and control who sees and edits them.
- Office Web Apps:
Create and edit Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote files via a web browser.
- Office applications:
Students cat get access access Office experiences (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, etc.) on up to 5 PCs or Macs and on their mobile devices.
With @Connect Service, students can take advantage of
- Greater e-mail storage (50GB for @Connect users).
- Improved service quality with calendaring, and documents, spreadsheet, and presentation applications.
- Continue use of the @Connect account after graduated.
The @Connect Office 365 Service is available to all HKUST students and alumni:
- Student accounts created after 18 March 2014 shall have their @Connect account created automatically.
- We will start to invite students to opt-in for migration to Office 365 after 18 March 2014. It is up to your own preference if you want to switch to @Connect. Since migration invitation will be sent to different student groups in different phases, please be patient if you do not receive the migration invitation from ITSC.
- The cut-over date for current students switching to @Connect service is by the end of 2016.
- If you have complete your studies in HKUST and is about to leave, you will also receive mail notification upon your program completion. You can switch to @Connect Service anytime before your ITSC Network Account will be expired.
- Alumni please refer to Alumni Office's web site for the @Connect service migration arrangement.
As you prepare for your migration to Office 365, follow the checklist below for a list of tasks that will help you make the transition as smooth as possible.
- Empty Trash and Spam/Junk folders
- The AutoTrash folder will not be migrated, check for legitimate emails before migration.
- If you have a folder called Archive or folders with caret (^), percent (%), or exclamation point (!), rename them as these will cause problems.
- Folder names or paths longer than 225 characters will be truncated during the migration. Rename them if necessary.
- Email message size with attachments that exceed 25MB will not be migrated. Examples of large files might be movies or videos, complex graphics files, mp3 files, or photo albums. Save them elsewhere prior to your migration.
- Executable files (.exe), .bat, .chm, and .vb file attachments are not allowed and will not migrate.
- For messages that cannot be migrated (e.g. larger the 25 MB), we will make a copy them and put under the "Un-migrated Items" folder in your HKUST iMail account.
- If you have mail folders nested within your Inbox, move them to other folders.
- If you have more than 200 folders in your current system, you are recommended consolidating them.
- If you own any mailing list, please add your @connect address as the owner of your mailing list BEFORE the migration. You will NOT be able to maintain your mailing list if you have not added the new owner due to the change of your email address from @ust.hk to @connect.ust.hk.
For current students, you will need to switch your HKUST iMail account to @Connect Service before you can use Office 365 for HKUST. After the switched over, the domain part of your email address will become @connect.ust.hk. However, your @ust.hk / @stu.ust.hk email address remains valid as far as you are current students. Emails addressing to your @ust.hk / @stu.ust.hk email address will deliver to your Office 365 Email account.
Making the Transition
- After your migration request is submitted, your @Connect account will be ready after 30 minutes and new incoming email will be delivered to your @Connect account.
- Please be noted that your email data migration may starts a few hours after you submitted the migration request and it depends on how many migration requests are queued before you.
- The time it takes for your data to be migrated will vary depending on the amount of mail you are transferring and the current activity load on the migration servers. Please come back to this site to check for your emails migration status: Queued, Started, Completed.
- After your migration request is submitted, please do not change your network password before your mailboxes migration is completed. You can access to all your emails in your HKUST iMail account using HKUST WebMail or other email tools for 90 days after your opted for @Connect. After 90 days of the switch over, your HKUST iMail Account will be deleted.
After 30 minutes you submitted your migration request, you can check for new messages with your User name and Password using the following URL:
As a quick start, you may watch the tutorial videos from Microsoft at:
1. Configure the required Time Zone
After login, select your preference when prompted:
- Select Language e.g. Default - English (United States)
- Select Time zone e.g. (UTC+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi
Please note that there is another time zone settings for Newsfeed, OneDrive, etc.:
- Click OneDrive from the top menu (need a couple of minutes for its initial set up)
- Choose Settings > Site Settings> Regional Settings
- Select the required Time zone e.g. (UTC+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi
2. Check your Migration Status and check for Un-migrated Items
The time it takes for your data to be migrated will vary depending on the amount of mail you are transferring and the current activity load on the migration servers. Please come back to this site to check for your emails migration status.
After your mailboxes migration is completed, an email notification will be sent to you. For messages that cannot be migrated (e.g. larger the 25 MB), we will make a copy them and put under the "Un-migrated Items" folder in your HKUST iMail account. Please make backup of these messages / attachments under this folder if necessary before your HKUST iMail Account will be deleted after 90 days.
3. Import your Contacts if necessary
If you used to have your own Contacts (Address Book), you can export and them import them to your @Connect Office 365 account:
4. Configure your @Connect Email Settings
Setting such as forwarding, signature, organize email, etc. will need to be configured in your @Connect account. Click on the Settings icon in the upper right corner to open the Options menu. Below are some useful help from Microsoft:
Take a few moments to explore all the Options menus and configure your @Connect Mail to look and perform to your preference.
5. Change your Display Name or Set up an Email Alias if necessary
Microsoft does not scan emails or documents for advertising purposes.
A. After the Migration
- Can I receive email addressed to @ust.hk or @stu.ust.hk after migrated to @Connect?
- How to setup my mobile and desktop client to access email and calendar?
- Can I access to my email messages resided on the HKUST iMail server after the migration?
- What if I already forward my HKUST iMail to a personal email account? Can I still do that?
Please refer to ITSC Knowledge Base for more FAQ related to @Connect Service.
B. Common Settings
- Change Display Name
- Forward mail to another account
- Phone and tablet setup reference
- Email program setup reference
- Import your contacts from an existing email account
- Automatic replies
- Inbox Rules
For help with using Office 365, you may visit the following resources:
Mail to email@example.com if you have any queries about the migration.
You may also seek advice from Student Consultants at Computer Barn Help Desk - Computer Barn B (Rm. 1101), Academic Concourse.